Students of the Universities in Ghana have begun with the #endutagstrikenow campaign following the strike of the University Teachers Association of Ghana UTAG.
The teacher union declared the strike on the 2nd of August as a result of the failure of government to restore the agreed salary levels of University Teachers since 2012.
A group of students from various universities in Ghana have come together to show their concern to the ongoing strike as they have expressed their sentiments.
However a campaign to end the UTAG strike has started with the trend still circulating.
This is the message by the leader of the concerned students Association of Ghana
*OUR LECTURERS LOVE US, GOVERNMENT
GAMBLES WITH OUR FUTURE*
*CONCERNED UNIVERSITY STUDENTS OF GHANA*
We thank each and everyone who supports our course. We would continue unabated and restless until our demand is met.
*#END UTAG STRIKE NOW!*
1. We know that our lecturers do not feel comfortable sitting at home while we suffer on campus. They wish to meet us at lecture halls but government.
2. The Labour Court in Accra reconvenes today to finalize the matter of UTAG industrial strike.
3. The court advised the two parties (NLC & UTAG) to seek out of court settlement of the matter.
4. Our hope is that the matter has been resolved as the court advised.
5. We expect a fair judgement from the Court. The lecturers have already threatened to close down schools if the judgment does not favour them.
6. Concerned University Students would set a date for street protests if the strike continues as a result, the judgment goes against the lecturers.
7. Students deserve better, UTAG deserves best. Government, end UTAG strike now!
*Leader: Paul Ayuonga (Agbigim Gbaung), University of Education, Winneba*